Bittersweet October. The mellow, messy, leaf-kicking, perfect pause between the opposing miseries of summer and winter. ~ Carol Bishop Hipps
I could not have said it better. October is right around the corner and what a fantastic time of year! A great time for parties, weddings and celebrations of any kind. School is back in session, football (and hockey!) flood television, the crisp air, Homecoming, leaves changing, fleece and sweaters, warm jewel tones abound….a few reasons this is my favorite time of year! Clay and I also celebrate both birthdays and our anniversary during the fall. Many reasons to feel blessed.
With the fantastic weather we have experienced this week in Middle TN, I thought it was a perfect time to highlight all the wonderful reasons to schedule a fall wedding or tips for your fall wedding planning!
1. Weather – it’s beautiful outside! Although September may be a little warmer than October or November, the air is often crisp, clean and refreshing. A perfect time of year for an outdoor wedding.
2. Find inspiration in the out-of-doors – the leaves change the most vivid shades of oranges, reds and yellows during the fall. Play off of this natural beauty and incorporate these shades into your flowers and decor. A more literal use of the out-of-doors would be to incorporate the colored leaves themselves into your bouquet(s) and decor! Why not sprinkle leaves on the tables or use twigs in your floral arrangements?
3. Pumpkins, gourds and apples, Oh My! – Use these fall figures in your decor. Sprinkle acorns around your centerpieces. Attach placecards to small pumpkins and double them as favors! Hand-carve a pumpkin with your new monogram and set in a prominent location for all to see. Dry and hollow out gourds to use as containers for programs, silverware, napkins, etc. Use apples in your centerpieces!
5. If you are not one for themes, simply use colors or textures prevalent during this time of year. Deep gold and burnt ember make beautiful bridesmaids dresses or linens for tables. Tweed and suede fabrics might accent your dining or serving tables. Thank your bridal party with warm, wool scarves or use market baskets to hold programs, favors, etc.
6. Candlelight – Something about the soft glow of candles reminds me of the fall! Torches, lanterns, tealights or carved pumpkins all set the stage for a magical fall event.
7. Candy – Who doesn’t love Halloween candy!? Incorporate a candy bar into your fall (October!) wedding. Candy is EVERYWHERE and often in large quantities. Choose candies wrapped in the colors of your wedding and send guests home with a treat bag! A perfect way to end an October wedding! Interested in a candy bar for your fall wedding but want to save some money??? Shop large retailers (Walmart, Target, Kmart, etc) the day after Halloween for 1/2 price savings on their leftover candy! Many wrappers will be in the deep autumn colors without the ghosts, pumpkins and monsters, but be careful to check the wrappers….unless you don’t mind the Frankensteins on your candy treats!
8. Football – Okay, so you might not be into “fall”…but I bet you are into football! (Okay, well at least we are sure the groom is, anyway!) Why not choose the colors for your wedding from your favorite college teams? Incorporate the colors into your decor or surprise your groom with a special football/team groom’s cake!
Clay’s sister, Jenni and husband Trey chose red and orange as the colors for the September 25th wedding. Trey, a huge UGA fan and Jenni, a huge UT fan were not about to use only one of those colors! Jenni carried red roses but wore an orange pashmina, while both colors were used on the cake. The toasting flutes were etched with the team logo and tied with the appropriate color ribbon – Jenni’s orange and Trey’s red. They even had red velvet wedding cake! Both ‘teams’ were represented beautifully and made for a spectacular wedding!
Hope these tips and photos have inspired you! Happy planning!